5:00 PM CT – St. Louis Blues (1-0-0) @ Nashville Predators (0-0-1)
TV: FS Tennessee
Radio: 102.5 The Game
Players to watch:
STL- Vladimir Tarasenko
The dazzling Russian rookie scored twice in his NHL debut in Saturday’s 6-0 win over Detroit.
NSH- Colin Wilson
Look for Wilson to see a healthy dose of ice time tonight as he was one of the Predators’ better forwards in the opener despite not finding the statsheet.
Projected starting goaltenders:
STL- Jaroslav Halak (2012-13 stats: 1-0-0, 0.00 GAA)
NSH- Pekka Rinne (2012-13 stats: 0-0-1, 1.85 GAA)
Projected depth charts:
|St. Louis Blues|
|David Perron||David Backes||T.J. Oshie|
|Andy McDonald||Alex Steen||Vladimir Tarasenko|
|Jaden Schwartz||Patrik Berglund||Chris Stewart|
|Vladimir Sobotka||Scott Nichol||Ryan Reaves|
|Matt D’Agostini||Jamie Langenbrunner|
|Ian Cole||Alex Pietrangelo||Jaroslav Halak|
|Barrett Jackman||Kevin Shattenkirk||Brian Elliott|
|Kris Russell||Roman Polak|
|Sergei Kostitsyn||Mike Fisher||Martin Erat|
|Colin Wilson||David Legwand||Patric Hornqvist|
|Craig Smith||Nick Spaling||Matt Halischuk|
|Brian McGrattan||Paul Gaustad||Brandon Yip|
|Roman Josi||Shea Weber||Pekka Rinne|
|Scott Hannan||Kevin Klein||Chris Mason|
|Hal Gill||Ryan Ellis|
NSH- Gabriel Bourque (lower body, out)
Keys to the game:
STL- Impose will on Preds… In Saturday’s shootout loss to Columbus, the Predators didn’t put forth a 60-minute effort. St. Louis is a bigger, deeper team that can throw the body around any given night. They have the opportunity to send a statement to Nashville tonight with a similar performance to Saturday.
NSH- Win the board battles… The Blues’ dominant 6-0 win over Detroit in their opener is a sign they are on their A-game already. If they carry over that success, the Predators will have a tough time if they don’t do the little things right – like winning 1-on-1 battles in the corners and along the boards. For the Preds, getting a win before a seven-game road trip would be ideal.
Numbers to know:
- 2011-12 season series vs. St. Louis: 4-1-1 Predators
- The Preds were 26-10-5 at home last season … St. Louis was 19-16-6 on the road.
- The Preds were 16-5-3 vs. the Central Division last season … St. Louis was 10-9-5.
- Pekka Rinne is 12-6-3 with a 1.90 GAA and .934 save percentage in 21 career games vs. St. Louis. His counterpart, Jaroslav Halak, is 7-3-3 with a 1.71 GAA and .934 save percentage in 13 career games vs. Nashville.
- Patric Hornqvist has 10 points in 17 career games vs. St. Louis.
- 2011-12 special teams: Nashville (1st PP, 10th PK) … St. Louis (19th PP, 7th PK)
- The Preds were 8-3-0 on the front end of back-to-backs in 2011-12. They will play in Minnesota tomorrow night.
- The Preds are 3-4-0 all-time on Martin Luther King Day.