7:00 PM CT – Nashville Predators (1-0-2) @ St. Louis Blues (2-1-0)
TV: FS Tennessee
Radio: 102.5 The Game
Last time out:
NSH- The Predators collected their first win of the season Tuesday with a solid all-around effort in Minnesota. Nick Spaling, Martin Erat and David Legwand all scored as Chris Mason manned the crease in the 3-1 victory.
STL- After winning in Nashville on Monday, the Blues traveled to Chicago on Tuesday and got beat 3-2 in regulation. Brian Elliott was in net and gave up three goals on 27 shots. It was the Blues’ first loss of the young season.
Players to watch:
NSH- Gabriel Bourque
The 22-year-old energetic forward provided a spark Tuesday night in Minnesota in his first game with the Predators this season.
STL- Alex Pietrangelo
Pietrangelo is one of the NHL’s more underappreciated defensemen and could contend for the Norris Trophy this season. He has four points in three games.
Projected starting goaltenders:
NSH- Pekka Rinne (2012-13 stats: 0-0-2, 2.31 GAA)
STL- Jaroslav Halak (2012-13 stats: 1-0-0, 1.94 GAA)
Projected depth charts:
|Sergei Kostitsyn||Mike Fisher||Martin Erat|
|Colin Wilson||David Legwand||Patric Hornqvist|
|Gabriel Bourque||Nick Spaling||Brandon Yip|
|Brian McGrattan||Craig Smith||Matt Halischuk|
|Richard Clune||Paul Gaustad*|
|Roman Josi||Shea Weber||Pekka Rinne|
|Scott Hannan||Kevin Klein||Chris Mason|
|Hal Gill||Ryan Ellis|
|St. Louis Blues|
|David Perron||David Backes||T.J. Oshie|
|Andy McDonald||Alex Steen||Vladimir Tarasenko|
|Jaden Schwartz||Patrik Berglund||Chris Stewart|
|Matt D’Agostini||Vladimir Sobotka||Jamie Langenbrunner|
|Scott Nichol||Ryan Reaves|
|Alex Pietrangelo||Ian Cole||Jaroslav Halak|
|Barrett Jackman||Kevin Shattenkirk||Brian Elliott|
|Kris Russell||Roman Polak|
|Jeff Woywitka||Wade Redden||*-Injured|
NSH- Paul Gaustad (upper body, questionable)
Keys to the game:
NSH- Bottle up Blues’ ‘second’ line… The line of Tarasenko, McDonald and Steen is the Blues’ most dangerous trio early on in the season. They have combined for 12 points in three games thus far. The Preds need to keep an eye on Tarasenko especially, who collected three points and was a constant threat in their meeting Monday.
STL- Pressure Rinne… Rinne hasn’t been on his A-game in his first two starts this season. He hasn’t looked 100% confident and his angles in net are a bit off. The Blues should try to capitalize on this by buzzing around the Preds’ net and not allowing Rinne to be comfortable.
Numbers to know:
- Season series vs. St. Louis: 1-0-0 Blues
- 2011-12 season series vs. St. Louis: 4-1-1 Predators
- The Preds were 22-16-3 on the road last season … St. Louis was 30-6-5 at home.
- Since the start of 2005-06, the Preds boast a 16-8-0 record at Scottrade Center. They won twice in St. Louis a season ago.
- Since the start of 2005-06, the Preds have gone to a shootout 13 times vs. St. Louis, more than any other opponent.
- Pekka Rinne is 12-6-4 with a 1.94 GAA and .933 save percentage in 22 career games vs. St. Louis. His counterpart, Jaroslav Halak, is 7-3-3 with a 1.86 GAA and .927 save percentage in 14 career games vs. Nashville.
- Patric Hornqvist has 13 points in 18 career games vs. St. Louis.
- 2011-12 special teams: Nashville (1st PP, 10th PK) … St. Louis (19th PP, 7th PK)