9:30 PM CT – Nashville Predators (1-1-2) @ Anaheim Ducks (2-1-0)
TV: FS Tennessee
Radio: 102.5 The Game
Last time out:
NSH- After a solid effort in Minnesota on Tuesday, the Predators laid an egg in St. Louis on Thursday. Shea Weber and company were outshot 24-13 in a 3-0 loss, where the Predators failed to generate any offense whatsoever.
ANA- The Ducks scored a combined 12 goals in their first two games, both road victories, but were shut out, 5-0, last night in their home opener against the Vancouver Canucks. Anaheim surrendered three power play goals in the loss.
Players to watch:
NSH- Patric Hornqvist
Hornqvist always seems to bring his A-game against the Ducks, as he has 14 points in 15 career games against them. Hornqvist also has 4 points this season, tied for the team lead.
ANA- Teemu Selanne
The 42-year-old ‘Finnish Flash’ is no stranger to racking up points against the Predators. He has 23 goals and 51 points in 46 career games vs. Nashville.
Projected starting goaltenders:
NSH- Pekka Rinne (2012-13 stats: 0-1-2, 2.53 GAA)
ANA- Viktor Fasth (2012-13 AHL stats: 1-2-0, 1.96 GAA)
Projected depth charts:
|Colin Wilson||Mike Fisher||Martin Erat|
|Gabriel Bourque||David Legwand||Patric Hornqvist|
|Sergei Kostitsyn||Nick Spaling||Craig Smith|
|Richard Clune||Paul Gaustad||Brandon Yip|
|Brian McGrattan||Matt Halischuk|
|Roman Josi||Shea Weber||Pekka Rinne|
|Scott Hannan||Kevin Klein||Chris Mason|
|Hal Gill||Ryan Ellis|
|Kyle Palmieri||Ryan Getzlaf||Corey Perry|
|Bobby Ryan||Nick Bonino||Teemu Selanne|
|Andrew Cogliano||Saku Koivu||Daniel Winnik|
|Matt Beleskey||Peter Holland||Devante Smith-Pelly|
|Rickard Rakell||Brad Staubitz|
|Sheldon Souray||Luca Sbisa||Viktor Fasth|
|Cam Fowler||Bryan Allen||Jonas Hiller|
|Toni Lydman||Francois Beauchemin|
NSH- Paul Gaustad (upper body, probable)
Keys to the game:
NSH- Play aggressive… The Predators did not play last night, whereas Anaheim did, so it could be an opportunity to catch the Ducks a bit tired on the back half of a back-to-back. More importantly, the Preds need to get back Predator Hockey and putting pressure on their opponents.
ANA- Stay disciplined… Sometimes this can be difficult for the Ducks, who are known for crossing the line every now and then. But they must stay out of the penalty box tonight. Their penalty kill is a shoddy 56.2% through three games, so they can’t afford to give a solid Predators power play chances to strike.
Numbers to know:
- 2011-12 season series vs. Anaheim: 4-0-0 Predators
- The Preds were 22-16-3 on the road last season … Anaheim was 21-18-2 at home.
- All-time, the Preds are 8-15-3 at Honda Center in Anaheim. However, the Preds are 5-1-0 in their last 6 trips to Anaheim, including the playoffs.
- In their last 15 meetings overall, including the playoffs, the Preds have won 12 times.
- Pekka Rinne is 9-2-2 with a 1.96 GAA and .932 save percentage in 13 career games vs. Anaheim. His counterpart, Viktor Fasth, has never appeared in an NHL game.
- Shea Weber has 14 points in 22 career games vs. Anaheim.
- Sergei Kostitsyn has 5 points in 8 career games vs. Anaheim.
- Paul Gaustad has 5 points in 7 career games vs. Anaheim.
- Power play: Nashville (28.6%, 9th) … Anaheim (42.9%, 2nd)
- Penalty kill: Nashville (72.7%, 24th) … Anaheim (56.2%, 30th)
Game Five. Overtime. Need I say more?