The Nashville Predators can’t seem to find a way to put the puck in the back of the net right now. They were shut out on Friday night against the Vancouver Canucks by a 1-0 score and followed that up with a 4-0 shutout loss to the Detroit Red Wings on Saturday night. The chances have been there, but Nashville simply cannot find a way to score goals right now.
Jimmy Howard stopped all 33 shots he faced to lead the Red Wings to the victory. Niklas Kronwall notched a goal and two assists to the lead the Red Wings offensively in a game that was more tightly contested than the score reflected. The Predators got more shots and better scoring chances than Detroit did. They were just unable to capitalize on those chances.
Howard made several saves from point-blank range in the first period to keep the Red Wings afloat. Nashville came out with a very impressive first period for the second night in a row but were unable to score any goals during that first period for the second night in a row as well.
Nashville has generated 56 shots on goal in the past two games and have been unable to score on any of them. One would think that their luck will eventually change if they keep putting up a good number of shots from good scoring areas. Howard was on his A-game on Saturday night, and the Predators weren’t getting the bounces.
Dallas comes to Music City on Monday night to take on the Predators at Bridgestone Arena. Nashville will look to get on the board in that game and find their way back into the win column.
Five things from Saturday night’s game…
- Pavel Datsyuk recorded two assists and was stellar defensively for the Red Wings. He may be the best all-around player in the entire league.
- Pekka Rinne played for the second consecutive night and didn’t look sharp. Most of the four goals he allowed weren’t his fault, but he did not look to be in his usual dominant form.
- Hal Gill left the game in the second period with a lower-body injury and did not return for the remainder of the game. Nashville went with seven defensemen against the Red Wings.
- Craig Smith led the Predators with six shots on goal. He has been playing really well for the Predators lately. Look for that to start transferring to the score sheet soon.
- Dan Cleary scored a goal for the Red Wings and played another solid game for them against the Predators. Cleary has scored a goal in both contests against the Predators so far this season.
Three stars of Saturday night’s game…
1. Jimmy Howard, DET…Howard stopped all 33 shots he faced and looked stellar in net for the Red Wings.
2. Niklas Kronwall, DET… Kronwall notched one goal and two assists and was very active on the offensive end for the Red Wings.
3. Pavel Datsyuk, DET… Datsyuk had two assists on the night and was effective as usual. He’s just a great player.