7:30 PM CT – Nashville Predators @ St. Louis Blues
TV: Fox Sports Tennessee
Radio: 102.5 The Game
3 things to watch:
1. What will Seth Jones’ role be in his first NHL game? He saw about 24 minutes of ice time per preseason game, but will that change starting tonight? Will he play most of the night alongside Kevin Klein or Ryan Ellis/Mattias Ekholm? There is definitely some intrigue surrounding his debut.
2. Pekka Rinne’s first regular-season start since hip surgery. He didn’t play a full 60 minutes in any of his three preseason appearances. Barry Trotz says he’s ready to go, but how Rinne fares against a Blues team that will be active in front of the net will be crucial.
3. The Predators didn’t score goals consistently in the preseason and will be missing Viktor Stalberg and Filip Forsberg from the lineup. How much offense will they be able to generate if the Blues are on their A-game tonight?
Projected starting goaltenders:
NSH- Pekka Rinne (2012-13 stats: 15-16-8, 2.43 GAA)
STL- Jaroslav Halak (2012-13 stats: 6-5-1, 2.14 GAA)
Projected lineups from last game/practice:
|Colin Wilson||David Legwand||Patric Hornqvist|
|Gabriel Bourque||Matt Cullen||Craig Smith|
|Eric Nystrom||Mike Fisher||Nick Spaling|
|Rich Clune||Paul Gaustad||Matt Hendricks|
|Roman Josi||Shea Weber||Pekka Rinne|
|Victor Bartley||Kevin Klein||Carter Hutton|
|Mattias Ekholm||Seth Jones|
|St. Louis Blues|
|Alexander Steen||David Backes||T.J. Oshie|
|Brenden Morrow||Derek Roy||Chris Stewart|
|Jaden Schwartz||Patrik Berglund||Vladimir Tarasenko|
|Vladimir Sobotka||Maxim Lapierre||Ryan Reaves|
|Magnus Paajarvi||Adam Cracknell|
|Jay Bouwmeester||Alex Pietrangelo||Jaroslav Halak|
|Jordan Leopold||Kevin Shattenkirk||Brian Elliott|
|Barret Jackman||Roman Polak|
|Ian Cole||* – Injured|
*Lineups are subject to change
NSH- Filip Forsberg (lower body, out), Viktor Stalberg (shoulder, out)
Numbers to know:
- This is the first meeting of the season between the Preds and Blues. They will next play on Oct. 26 in Nashville. The Blues won three of the four meetings in 2012-13.
- The Preds were 5-14-5 on the road last season… St. Louis was 15-8-1 at home.
- Since the start of 2005-06, the Preds boast a 17-9-0 record at Scottrade Center.
- Since the start of 2005-06, the Preds have gone to a shootout 13 times vs. St. Louis, more than any other opponent.
- The Preds are 7-6-1 all-time in 14 season openers and are 2-0-2 in their last four.
- Pekka Rinne is 13-8-4 with a 1.91 GAA and .934 save percentage in 25 career games vs. St. Louis. His counterpart, Jaroslav Halak, is 8-3-3 with a 1.74 GAA and .930 save percentage in 15 career games vs. Nashville.
- Patric Hornqvist has 13 points in 20 career games vs. St. Louis.
On Oct. 8, 2011, the Predators spoiled the Blues’ home opener with a 4-2 victory. David Legwand tallied four points (2g-2a) in the win…