Here are five things from Friday night’s game…
- David Legwand’s goal to tie the game for the Predators came as a result of a lot of puck luck. Roman Josi’s shot was deflected and went right on Legwand’s stick as if it were a pass. It was the second consecutive game that the Devils had given up a lead late in the game. New Jersey head coach Peter DeBoer doesn’t seem to take too kindly to the assertion that giving up late goals is becoming a trend.
“It’s an 82-game schedule and it happens to everyone. You all look for tendencies, they can’t hold a lead, and they can’t score. You know what? Give me a break, we played four games in six nights, we got an unfortunate bounce at the end and we’ll take the point and move on,” DeBoer said.
- Lost in Shea Weber’s two-goal game was just how well 41-year-old Jaromir Jagr played. Jagr had a goal and an assist and was extremely strong on the puck all night long.
“Jagr just absolutely amazes me on how strong, fast, and deceptive he is. He’s been in this league for a long time, and it amazes me that he got that second goal. He was a big load for Shea to handle all game. He has a lot of love for the game and you can see it with how many games he’s played and still has a smile on his face. I think he enjoys every minute he’s out there,” said Predators head coach Barry Trotz.
- Weber’s overtime game-winner was created off of a strong surge toward the net by Colin Wilson. Wilson tried to split the defenders, and the puck went off of former Predator Marek Zidlicky and right onto the stick of Weber for the goal.
“We just grind away,” Weber said. “We’re a good character team, and in here we believe in each other. We just have to find a way, and that’s what we’re sticking to right now.”
- Craig Smith was tenacious for the Predators on the forecheck all night long and had several good chances offensively, including one that rang off the crossbar. Smith finished the game with 21:21 of ice time after being double-shifted some throughout the night.
- With the win, the Predators are just five points out of the final wild card playoff spot in the Western Conference with 26 games remaining in the regular season.
3 stars of Friday night’s game…
1. Shea Weber, NSH… Weber had two goals, including the game-winner in overtime.
2. Jaromir Jagr, NJD… Jagr had one goal and one assist and was very good for the Devils.
3. Patrik Elias, NJD… Elias also had one goal and one assist.
Post-game locker room video…
Audio highlights from 102.5 The Game…