Medically the review by Cynthia Taylor Chavoustie, MPAS, PA-C — created by Amber Erickson Gabbey — to update on February 25, 2021

Share top top PinterestLuis Alvarez/Getty Images
“Plant food,” likewise known together plant fertilizer, is typically used on plants in dwellings or gardens. Together fertilizers store plants healthy and enable them to flourish faster.

You are watching: Is miracle grow toxic if ingested

Plant foods can be hazardous come people and also pets with physical contact, inhalation, or inadvertently ingestion. That is for sure to usage fertilizers on nonedible plants, however you should constantly be mindful when handling and also storing plant food.

If you want to fertilize edible plants, you need to ask a skilled for advice about which commodities to buy.

Symptoms of tree food poisoning

You may construct the complying with symptoms if you come right into physical contact with plant fertilizers:

You might experience these symptoms if you ingest plant fertilizers:

dizzinessfaintinglow blood pressureseizuresshortness the breathupset stomach or stomach pain
What reasons plant food poisoning?

Plant fertilizers can poison people and also pets if they room inhaled or by chance ingested. Touching the fertilizer may reason skin irritation, and also ingesting it might be poisonous. Nitrates space the ingredients that reason the poisoning.

Nitrates room a form of nitrogen that plants can easily absorb. Nitrogen is vital for tree growth, yet it can be very dangerous when existing at high levels in humans. Within our bodies, nitrates reduced the capacity of the red blood cell to carry and also deliver oxygen.

What to do if you space poisoned by plant food

If you believe you have been poisoned by tree food, girlfriend should contact the nationwide Poison regulate Centers hotline immediately. The emergency number is 800-222-1222.

You should also seek medical help. When paramedics arrive, be all set to call them:

which fertilizer you to be exposed towhether it to be inhaled, ingested, or touchedhow much of the product you came in contact withwhen the call occurred

Get new air immediately if the tree food to be inhaled.

If the tree fertilizer is in your eyes or on her skin, flush thoroughly with water because that at the very least 15 minutes.

If you ingested the substance, do not induce vomiting unless the poison control center tells girlfriend to. You need to drink water or milk, unless they advise versus it.

Don’t drink noþeles if you’re vomiting, together this can lead come choking or drowning. The same guidelines use if she providing care to a victim who is vomiting or unconscious.

The toxicity control center may recommend you to go to the hospital. Once there, the staff will assess the severity of your poisoning.

Your doctor might run tests to check for methemoglobinemia. In this condition, the nitrate binds to the hemoglobin in her blood. Normally, hemoglobin is the link that enables the blood cells to carry oxygen throughout your body.

See more: Read The Numbers And Decide What The Next Number Should Be. 6 18 20 10 30 32 16

When you have actually methemoglobinemia, your blood cannot adequately circulate oxygen, resulting in a bluish color in the oxygen-starved areas. Due to the fact that methemoglobinemia is an ext common in infants, the is sometimes dubbed “blue baby syndrome.”

If necessary, physicians at the hospital may give you medications, breath support, or IV liquids.