1. No cleaning the brake slides and hardware: simply slapping new pads whereby the old pads once resided never works. The slides and also abutment clips need to be cleaned and/or replaced.
2. Not lubricating the guide pins: Caliper overview pins ~ above floating calipers must be cleaned in solvent and new grease should be applied. The grease is under extreme heat and pressure so constantly use a caliper specific grease. Never ever put a torn boot earlier on a car.
3. Installing the brake pads backwards: the happens more often 보다 you would certainly think!
4. Not measuring the rotor: Rotor thickness needs to it is in measured every time. To run a rotor the is listed below specifications can cause safety issues like cracking and also fading.
5. Not machining the rotor: brand-new pads almost always need a fresh rotor surface so the pads can deposit a thin layer that friction product to rise braking performance. If old shop of the previous material are top top the rotor, it have the right to contaminate the brand-new pad and lead to performance and noise issues.
6. Not properly torquing the caliper clip bolts: not all caliper parentheses bolts room the same. Talk ranges can vary native 30- to 110-ft/lbs. Also, part bracket bolts have the right to be torque-to-yield or need liquid tread lockers.
7. Over torquing the caliper guide pin bolts: Caliper guide pin bolts typically need a 13mm wrench to remove. The is a rookie mistake to walk nuts on this bolts and also break the heads off. Typically these bolts require just 25- come 35-ft/lbs the torque. It is in gentle!
8. Installing a caliper upside down: nothing is worse 보다 going to bleed a new set of calipers ~ above a vehicle, only to uncover the bleeders space on the bottom the the caliper and also not the top. The bleeder requirements to be in ~ the top of the caliper to eliminate all the air. Always check the box to make certain you have a left and also a right before you begin the job.
9. Utilizing cheap brake pads: This is the most usual mistake for the rookie is to shop for a pad ~ above price and not quality, features and reputation. Functions like NUCAP’s NRS mechanical retention system, Clip-on/floating shims and also extras thrown in the box prefer abutment clips execute not come cheap, however the can mean the distinction in the lengthy run. 10. Hanging the brake caliper by the hose: nothing is an ext painful than to watch a brake caliper execute a bungee run from a manage arm or knuckle and watch the dangle by the brake hose. This can cause damage to interior structure of the hose the can reason a soft pedal or a rupture.What was your biggest mistake if doing a brake job? you re welcome share in the comments!