This article may be sponsored or include a provided product or affiliate link. See the footer and Affiliate Disclaimer for full details.
You are watching: What is the absolute location of los angeles
Where is Los Angeles located, and why are many people attracted to this city? Learn more about The City of Angels and see where Los Angeles, California, is on the map.
Los Angeles is a city located in the county of Los Angeles. It belongs to the state of California.
Los Angeles is part of the country of the United States of America.
Los Angeles’ exact location is 34.05 latitude and -118.24 longitude.
The city of Los Angeles is undoubtedly among the best places to visit in the USA.
If you are LA-bound anytime soon, make sure to check out all the best things to do in Los Angeles, including our list of the best hotels to stay in Los Angeles.
ContentsFrequently Asked Questions about Where is Los Angeles located
Distance to other major destinations:
Los Angeles to San Diego: 112 miles or 180 kilometers
Los Angeles to Las Vegas: 229 miles or 368 kilometers
Los Angeles to San Jose California: 306 miles or 492 kilometers
Los Angeles to San Francisco: 347 miles or 559 kilometers
Los Angeles to Phoenix: 357 miles or 574 kilometers
Where is Los Angeles on the Map
Los Angeles Fun Facts
1. Spanish governor Felipe de Neve founded Los Angeles City on September 4, 1781.
2. The name Los Angeles is Spanish. Its full name – “El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre el Río Porciúncula” – when translated, means “The town of Our lady Queen of the Angels on the Porciúncula River.”
3. Los Angeles is commonly called LA for short. It is also regarded by other nicknames such as La La Land, the Big Orange, and The City of Angels.
4. People who reside in Los Angeles are called Angelenos.
5. Where is Los Angeles on the map? It is located in a large basin that the Pacific Ocean bounds on one side and by mountains on the other.
6. A deeper look into the Los Angeles map will show you that the Los Angeles location is in a high seismic zone. The city receives quite powerful earthquakes.
7. Los Angeles ranks as the second most populous US city after New York. It is the most populous in the state of California.
8. Thanks to the good Los Angeles location, the city is one of the largest producers of oil in the world. Oil was first discovered there in the 1890s.
9. Los Angeles is the film industry capital of the United States. It began to be so when filmmakers started coming in to seek refuge from Thomas Edison’s film patents.
10. The famous Hollywood sign in LA originally says Hollywoodland. This went on from 1923 to 1949.
11. Many famous personalities were born in Los Angeles. Some of them are Angelina Jolie, Marilyn Monroe, Leonardo di Caprio, and Tyra Banks.
12. The Los Angeles California map includes secret underground tunnels in Downtown LA.
13. It is widely believed that there are more cars than people in Los Angeles. Imagine just how hard it is to get a parking space here! Don’t dare ask how the traffic is.
See more: How Many Tiles In A Box ? How Many Floor Tiles Are In A Carton
14. The US cities of Los Angeles and San Francisco are known to be getting 2.5 inches closer every year. This is because they are located on opposite sides of the San Andreas Fault Line.