You are watching: Which state executed the most prisoners in 2011?
Death penalty statistics: the execution chamber at the Utah State Prison after Ronnie Lee Gardner was executed by firing squad Friday, June 18, 2010. The bullet holes are visible in the wood panel behind the chair. Photograph: Trent Nelson/AP
US death penalty rates will be in sharp focus this week as Troy Davis faces a lethal injection in Georgia, in the most controversial case this year.
But his will not be the first case this year - there have been 33 deaths so far.
Capital punishment was suspended from 1972 to 1976 - when it was resurrected by the Supreme Court.
Since then, 1,264 people have been executed in America. This is how it breaks down:
• Texas is the big state for executions - with 474 since 1976, followed by Virginia• California has more inmates on death row than any other state - 721. The state has not had any executions since a 2006 moratorium but procedures are set to restart for Albert Greenwood Brown, whose execution was suspended last year. One problem is that the state"s supply of sodium thiopental has expired• Texas is only behind Oklahoma if you look at the rate of executions per million population• Alabama has 43 defendants on death row for every million peopleDeath penalty statistics around the world. Click image for full graphic
We have collated statistics from AI - and the excellent Death Penalty Information Centre to show how US capital punishment breaks down across America - and we"ve included the latest world estimates.
In the spreadsheet below you will find:
• US executions in 2011 and 2010 listed by person• Execution rates by US state since the reintroduction of capital punishment in 1976• Executions around the world in 2010• Method of US execution - and how many have died that way
What can you do with the data?
See more: Why Is My Dog Licking Her Private Area In Dogs, Why Does My Dog Lick Their Butt & Private Areas
Download the data
• DATA: download the full spreadsheet
More open data
Data journalism and data visualisations from the Guardian
World government data
• Search the world"s government data with our gateway
Development and aid data
• Search the world"s global development data with our gateway
Can you do something with this data?
• Flickr Please post your visualisations and mash-ups on our Flickr group• Contact us at data
• Get the A-Z of data• More at the Datastore directory• Follow us on Twitter• Like us on Facebook